An Interview with CKG Judge, Matt Imrie

Posted by on June 17, 2016

ckg

Our Shadowing Group have been incredibly lucky to be able to ask some judges their very own questions.

Matt_Imrie

Check out this interview with Matt Imrie:

Some of the other judges also sent us their responses:

Annie: Who/what inspired you to be a judge?

I joined my regional Youth Libraries Group (YLG) through my job as I wanted to develop professionally; I had only recently completed my MSc in Information and Library Studies and so wanted a bit more experience. One of my colleagues on YLG was the judge for that year and hearing her talk about the process, the books, he fellow judges just sounded truly amazing and I knew I had to do it! I didn’t know at the time when I joined that to be a judge you have to be a member of YLG. So then I put my name forward to be considered as a judge and, happily, I was accepted.

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

Skye: Is judging hard with lots of other people?

It’s not hard but quite scary; you have to be confident enough to voice your own opinions about a book in a room of 15 other people who are also librarians and experts. It can be very intimidating!

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

I think having lots of people, with all different experiences, really helps.  Others will notice things in a book that you haven’t, and the discussions help you reach a decision in the judging process.

Jennifer Horan, CKG Judge for YLG Scotland

Ryan: What was your dream job when you were young?

I had many dream jobs and none of them was to be a librarian! I wanted to be a nun, a contract killer, a spy, a nurse, a pharmacist – I changed my mind a lot! I finished my A-Levels and took a year out and then went on to study Art History at University. I then finished and came back home to Wales and wondered what I wanted to do. I had worked in libraries as a supply assistant since I was 15 and I’ve always been passionate about books and reading since I was a toddler. I got a job as a Library Assistant and decided that this is what I wanted to do so I then started my Masters in Library and Information Studies to qualify as a librarian. I’ve loved every second.

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

My dream job when I was young was a journalist because I enjoyed meeting people, hearing their different stories and writing about them. Interestingly enough, my first work experience as a teen was in a library.

Tanja Jennings CKG Judge for YLG Northern Ireland.

Annie: Who is your favourite author?

That’s far too hard! I have too many to just name one; Philip Pullman, J K Rowling, Malorie Blackman, Melvin Burgess, Celia Rees, Lousie Rennison – and those are just a few of the children’s and young adult authors. I have many more adult writers whom I love.

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

I have lots of favourite authors!  Right now I love Maggie O’Farrell and Muriel Spark.

That is a difficult question as I have a lot of favourite authors. Sometimes it depends on the mood I am in or what genre I think I would like to read next. Currently, I like Rick Riordan, Ransom Riggs, Michael Scott and Chris Riddell’s Goth Girl series. John Steinbeck is the first author who made me laugh, cry and feel angry about injustice at the same time with his novel ‘The Grapes of Wrath’. I also love reading my great grandmother’s copy of ‘The Arabian Nights’ which is full of enchanting and exciting adventures.

Tanja Jennings, CKG Judge for YLG Northern Ireland.

Annie: Who is your favourite illustrator?

Again, it’s too hard to choose one but my top five are: Oliver Jeffers, Chris Riddell, Catherine Rayner, Jim Kay and Emily Hughes.

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

I like creative illustrators who do something a little different with their books. Favourites include Janet and Allen Ahlberg, Raymond Briggs, Emily Gravett, Alexis Deacon, Art Spiegelman and David Weisner.

Skye: What is your favourite book so far?

I’m not going to tell you before the winners are announced, but one of my favourite books of all time is Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy.

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

Skye: Do you enjoy judging?

Judging is one of the hardest and best things I’ve ever done in my life! It’s much harder than my degree or my masters and it’s the most interesting and rewarding thing I’ve ever done. I’ve met so many lovely people, read so many amazing books and now I can’t wait to meet all the authors!

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

Ryan: What was your favourite lesson in school?

My favourite lesson was definitely English with Art as a close second.

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

Annie: Did you read a lot as a child?

Yes – I read all the time as a child, from a tiny toddler right through to now; I feel lost if I haven’t got a book to read. Both of my parents were librarians so it was a bit hard to avoid! If you read my blog post on the CKG website, I tell you some of my most favourite ever books from growing up and the effect they had on me.

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

Yes, I was always reading and being read to.  My mum and dad read to me a lot when I was a baby, and I think that’s what gave me a love of reading – I don’t remember a time when I didn’t love books.  I used to love going to the library with my dad after school, and I remember reading the first Harry Potter book to my Grandpa when it came out – he loved Hagrid’s flying motorbike!

Childhood favourites include Charles Kingsley (The Water Babies), C.S Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia), Kenneth Grahame (The Wind in the Willows), Carolyn Keene’s Nancy Drew detective stories, Enid Blyton and Hugh Lofting’s Dr Dolittle books. I loved the idea of someone who could talk to animals and travel the world. A favourite title from that particular series was ‘Dr Dolittle and the Green Canary’ because of Pippinella’s amazing adventures.

Annie: What is your favourite book?

Like I said above, one of my favourite books is His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (if I name the trilogy I can say three books instead of one, clever) but I have so many more favourites. Witchchild by Celia Rees, Bloodtide by Melvin Burgess, Harry Potter by J K Rowling (of course), Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman…it would take too long to list them all but I do name some of my favourites in my blog post.

Martha Lee, CKG Judge for YLG Wales

A HUGE thank you for the judges for giving us this insight. We can’t wait to hear which books are the winners, next week.

You can find out about the judges here:

http://www.carnegiegreenaway.org.uk/meet-the-judges.php